The oldest South Asian Film Festival in the United States, 3rd i’s six-day festival is the premier showcase for documentaries, shorts, narratives and innovative and experimental visions that exemplify the best indie films – and there’s also a dash of Bollywood!
The San Francisco International South Asian Film Festival takes place at two venues in San Francisco, New People Cinema and the Castro Theatre, from October 22-25, 2015. On November 1, SFISAFF moves to the Peninsula with film screenings at the CineArts Theatre, Palo Alto.
Please take public transportation whenever possible. Parking near New People Cinema and the Castro Theater is notoriously tricky, but Muni stops are very nearby (more info below).
New People Cinema
1746 Post St @ Webster St (in Japantown)
San Francisco, CA 94115
closest Muni stops: Geary & Webster, Sutter & Buchanan, Sutter & Fillmore
Bluelight Cinemas 5
21275 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
Check out the complete list of 2016 Festival Films.
The premiere annual South Asian film festival in the U.S, the San Francisco International South Asian Film Festival (SFISAFF) has brought the cinematic heritage and culture of South Asia to Bay Area audiences for more than a decade. Presented by 3rd i Films, the oldest South Asian media arts organization in the U.S., the festival promotes diverse images of South Asians and catalyzes change through independent film.
SFISAFF showcases a rich variety of feature films, docs, Bollywood, Indie and classic films. Past premieres include Slumdog Millionaire, Four Lions, Bombay Summer, Slackistan, Ramchand Pakistani, Zero Bridge, and The Island President. Past festival guests include Parminder Nagra (Bend it Like Beckham), Kiran Bedi (India’s first woman police officer), Shenaz Treasury and Akshat Verma (Delhi Belly), Salim Khan (Lead singer of Pakistani-band Junoon), Arun Dutt (son of famed Indian director Guru Dutt), 2011 Berlin Film Festival Star Director Q (Love in India, The Loser), and journalist/filmmaker Gotham Chopra (Decoding Deepak).
“The 3rd i Film Festival is really one of a kind, offering up the best of South Asian film, not as some paean to political correctness, but truly as a tribute to great cinema rooted in the subcontinent and its diaspora.”
– Sandip Roy, Editor/Radio Host, New American Media
“This autumn I feel more oppressed than usual by the relentless march of regional/generic film festivals… But one filmfest that I greet each fall with satisfaction sans stress is the 3rd i Film Festival. Maybe because it’s just another great lineup I get to preview with confidence.”
– Frako Loden, The Evening Class
“3rd i has exposed the Indian American audience to a whole new funny, sexy, frightening and fantastic world of South Asian film. They are the only resource for the latest in cutting-edge and hard-to-find cinema and they are one of the Bay Area’s great artistic treasures!”
– Lisa Tsering/entertainment editor, India-West
Festival Passes and tickets to individual films are available online through our ticketing portal on Eventbrite.
WHY DO WE RECOMMEND ADVANCE TICKETING?
We recommend buying tickets online in advance as The New People Cinema has fewer seats than our previous venues, and some showings will surely sell out. Online tickets ($11/film) are cheaper than at-the-door tickets ($13/film), and passes can only be purchased online!
WHY GET A PASS?
Passes offer the best value. They are the least expensive way to see multiple films and to make sure you get into every film you’d like to attend. Passholders have access to the VIP entry and get early access to seating for each film. Passes are only available for purchase leading up to the festival, and will not be sold at the Box Office during the festival. Get your passes today!
• The TICKETING DESK will open 45 minutes before the first screening at each of the festival venues. You can pick up your PASSES, purchase AT-THE-DOOR tickets, and direct any ticketing related issues to this desk, during the festival.
• If you purchase ONLINE TICKETS, you will receive a PDF ticket via email upon purchase confirmation. Please PRINT a copy of your ticket or DOWNLOAD it to your mobile device, and bring it with you to the screening.
• We are not responsible for lost, stolen or misplaced passes and tickets. We will be unable to admit filmgoers without passes or tickets.
• All ticket/pass holders must arrive at least 20 minutes before showtime to guarantee entry, as all available seats will be released to the RUSH LINE beyond this point.
• We will send all ticket/pass holders an email if there are any changes to the schedule. You can also check the FESTIVAL UPDATES section on the festival website (www.thirdi.org) for the latest program and schedule alerts.
• All sales are final. There are no refunds, exchanges or reprints on pass and ticket purchases.
3rd i’s TICKETING PLATFORM: EVENTBRITE offers a great set of tools that should make the festival experience smooth — both for you and for us! But please make sure to read all instructions carefully to avoid surprises — both for you and for us!
DOWNLOAD THE EVENTBRITE APP FOR YOUR MOBILE DEVICE
It’s the fastest and safest way to buy and store your festival tickets! Search for “3rdifilms” by setting location to “San Francisco” and filtering by “Date” to see a chronological listing of all festival films and events.
ERROR: Blog-in-Blog shortcodes can only be used in pages, not posts.